28 June 2007

Butter Slippers

Kowloon Yellow
---
The Orient
I abhor being asked what makes me chinese. I don't know the first way to answer that. The generic -easy-to-back-out-of way is to say 'My culture'.
But I lie.
Its not mine - not to claim anyways. I was born into it. I don't defend it, nor do I valiantly champion or embrace it lovingly as a lover. I think few of us do, unless we have a job at the Chinese Cultural Centre (C3) and their ilk.
So there - I don't know what it is to be chinese besides culture and general variant tone for asiatic skin hues between light to dark on the nutmeg'gy side.
*groan*
I should be disinherited by the ancestors.

Shortly After
I'm slowly preparing for this Saturday. I'm also trying to time myself, so I don't go over hte recommended 10 - 15 minutes. But you know 'artistes' - we'll take all the time we can. All 15 minutes of it! Of course I have, on some decent authority there are those who preceed me, who have taken a much more gravious period.
(evil laughter insert)
So yes, let's plan for my '15' minutes, shall we?

---

Prose

I wonder if one day or even one night, some late dark lonely night, if I would be a meal.
For an alien.
Like myself, having lunch in an hour.
Or dinner by the diner tonight.
I wonder if I would be an appetiser, an entree or, I shudder in glee to think, dessert.
Would I be slushy, or crunchy and sweet, maybe sour to the palate.
Won't you wonder with me?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

*lol* cute prose.

good luck with your 15 minutes. hehehe or just go for the most "Gravious" record :P

G said...

thank youz!

Do you happen to know how much ticket to Perth is?
Its like 2K for a round trip?

JUST asking :D

ps: Peak period prices? End year counts ?

Syar said...

Oh noes!! I'm going away this Saturday. And I was so looking forward to seeing you read. So much so that I followed Farah last weekend when she insisted it was 23 June, and not 30th.

Aw crud. Make sure you read again, kay?

My Malay ancestors should disown me as well. I feel the same as you do, only I'm browner and not Chinese.

Anonymous said...

I dunno really. I had some relatives come down a couple of years ago for less than 2K, but I imagine that might have changed by now. I do know that the KL-Perth return trip is cheaper than the perth-kl return trip. Also those travel fairs used to sell them REALLY cheap. Do they still hold travel fairs? That new Singaporean airlines; Tiger air? or something like that. Has Uber cheap tickets for perth-singapore. so they might be worth looking into even if it means a singapore detour.

without doing any online searches for actual prices thats about all I can tell you.

Kenny Mah said...

Oh trust me, the time will fly past real fast when you are reading. Whatever you time yourself, add on a couple of minutes. I timed myself for 9-10 minutes and went over 15 in "real time".

One tends to go slower in front of an appreciative audience, ya see... ;)

G said...

Syar:
Sorry about the mix-up last week, I believe that was my mistake.
As for reading again, I'm not sure, since this is a platform for many writers new and veteran, it might be sometime till the next time. :D

Rav'N
If its less than 2 K thats so Doable ... but yea ... we'll see. End year tickets can be quite horrufying different.

Kenny M
When it comes to myself, I'll make sure to always add a few more ... (tee hee hee)