05 April 2007

Three things and Kings

-------

Triadic Fortunes

Old Faces
I havent used my chats and messengers, so I popped in and kinda forgot about it all through the workday. And lo' ... suddenly! "Is that you, gary?"
It was Susie.
Yea! Susielin - some
one who shared a great passion for the camera eye as my Ex, Evan. She's in Hawaii now and she seems to be doing alright. I like looking at her pictures and now more so since it captures life, hers and more in Hawaii. It translates so much when you feel more personal to the photographer.
Yea to Susie! the Girl with the Camera.

Old Voices
I called Flo (Florence), after taking a look at her Flickr Portfolio online. In fact, I decided to chat with her while waiting in traffic leaving the city. Yes, I had to do something other than look at cars on the road ...
And we talked.
About graphics in general, and how we were doing, where we've been professionally and where to go career-wise. It felt good to connect and it made me realize something.
I know, I have ... very few design friends.
Several only, when I should be networking more. And from those few, I find out many old acquaintances and college mates in design school ended up doing above-the-line design. Where's all the below-the-line designers ?
Of the creative line - I know some actors, but mostly I know writers.
Theathre writers, authors, poets, literati and I'm thinking WTH?!?
Where is this directon leading me?
Which brings me to another thought ...

Calling
If you want to promote something, you get a friend who helps you promote, think of ideas - someone who probably does marketing, has some business or advertising sense. if you want a particular dress - you call a friend who can fashion design or at least help you shop. If you want to try a new recipe, you call cooks bakers at least someone you know who can professionally cook. You want to hear a new piece of music, you seek your musical friends, better if they are professionals. You even bug these friends ....
But if you want to design a card or just .. design anything; you're likely to do it yourself first.
Why?
Why not look for profesesional friends, and tho' a few do.
Most don't.
Do we all inherently think we all can do it, by simple fact that the 'design' programs are available for the layman? Is accessibility a farce or an illusion to allow the casual person to design?
What did I spend years in school for?
I'm a big supporter of friends and people being progressive, learning new stuff, I don't mind taking them through the steps and dynamics of design. I love knowing that they can know a bit more about what it means to design ... to produce art and expression.
but what does it mean? Do my own skills get neglected because I'm willing so share what works? Do I become selfish about the knowledge?
Should I offer and get rejected because obviously I can't produce what idea they have in their heads and minds ... and that showing them a little mean they can do it themselves?
Does everyone think my job and skills as completely replaceable by anyone with an inkling to use Photoshop?

Clouds parting
I saw the divine showing off today.
Shards of light like flat blades of butcher knives slicing down from wave-patterned shores of clouds, shadows and illumnations.
Angled at the edges and flashing brightest miles ahead of me as I drove.
Teasing me with an unseen path of light.
Oh, you naughty naughty being.
Oh, you tease.

Two more
Two more weeks will showtime.

Prose
The motors in the grinding bowels in the cranials of my head whirl with the mess of twisty mazes corrupted by thoughts of the external and internal tourmoil.

There's a war I hear going on.
There's a peace I know that no one hears.
There's a cry from the dark, no one sees.
You don't know.
You don't want to know.
No sky breaks open for the proud.
No ground opens before the wicked
To swallow their sins and replenish the weak.
There's no clamour for the shaded.
There's no word for the strange.
There's a judge and jury we see in a mirror each morning.
We end our days each evening looking in that mirror.

7 comments:

Kenny Mah said...

I can attest to the fact you have a generous spirit in sharing your ideas and critique. I feel fortunate to have met so many bloggers of late who are willing to share ideas and pool resources. Times like these I feel humankind might have a chance yet.

P.S. Them mirrors? I know exactly what you mean...

G said...

Thanks K-man
Sometimes everyone needs an objective look on themselves.

:p
I always thought if I could Fab up a mirror, those little bulb track lightings like you see in make up studios look so great, its like ... i dunno, makes anyone look good (ol) - like a magic mirror!!!

---

Kenny Mah said...

If you manage to do that, make one for me too. I want one them magic mirrors...

G said...

Magickkk mirrors ...

I dunno.
If i had one, i'm not so sure it woul be good for world peace to share its knowledge :p

Anonymous said...

"Does everyone think my job and skills as completely replaceable by anyone with an inkling to use Photoshop?"

keep in mind that you're talking about artistic expression here. something like cooking, you would go to someone in the know (and its less likely to be a professional chef than say a mother or someone like that), so that you do't end up charing your dinner or burning down the house. Shopping for clothes, I think people ask for company more than advice but often the advice is helpful. But making up cards or posters, well, thats artistic. Like designing blogs or writing poetry or drawing, etc. some people take classes or study up on it a bit at least before they make attempts but others will just give it a try and see what happens. Often, when they do this, the results of their efforts looks sufficiently attractive to their untrained eye that they'll accept it as "good enough", and only consult someone else (who's better trained or whatever) when they can't figure out how to do something or get an effect that they want. These people also ask for opinions AFTER they finish the project rather than before. Again, probably just because they wanted to see what they could do on their own first.

As for you. While all of us probably know you are an artist, maybe some don't really realise that you're also a designer. Although in this day it makes sense to to asume that an artist is also a designer, not everybody necessarily does.

hehehe me? I'm too lazy not to go to the people in the know for advice and help. For example, now that I have Jad around I never do any maintenance work on computers. And of course I excercised almost no technical input when k@os designed my blog.

G said...

Ravvy'n
It more than that if you want to take in the Malaysian mentality.
For someone who's "given' it a try to see what happens and find themselves sufficiently happy with that they know - they tend to think they know more than they may realize.

And often times keep the fact they dabble in front of people who know it professionally while lording it over those who know less to little about it.

Perhaps its a value of face, and a dash of self pride thrown in.
Never underestimate the human ability to gloat and need for skill/knowledge superiority. :p

Though admittedly, not everyone does this - enough do.

FOr for bing surrounded by people who can help you technically in your tech-doodad know-how sort of way .. well, maybe you're just lucky that way :D
---

Anonymous said...

hehehe well if i had even the vaguest artistic talents there are at least 3 people i know of (one would be you) that I could go to for help with that sort of thing. Alas, I can barely even manage recognisable stick figures. As far as poetry goes, most people have very little at all to say about my efforts. Either its that bad or so blah that they can't be bothered forming an opinion either way. only on very rare ocasions do I come across helpful criticism of any sort